If proper oral health care routines are not observed on a daily basis, your teeth can become damaged, which can result in a cavity forming. If a cavity forms, tooth loss can eventually occur.
Dental fillings are designed to defeat cavities. Here are some benefits of two popular varieties of fillings:
Advantages of Dental Amalgams:
– Dental amalgams work by applying a combination of durable metals together, which are then bound together with mercury. The combination of metals ensures your filling will be durable enough to protect against future cavities.
– Dental amalgams have been in operation for over a century with a proven track record of success.
– Dental amalgams are highly successful at treating large and oversized cavities.
Advantages of Composite Fillings:
– Unlike dental amalgams, composites do not need to be removed if they crack or are damaged. Instead, you can repair or apply the new filling directly over top of the old one.
– Composite fillings, also called tooth-colored fillings, can easily blend in with the natural color of your teeth.
– Composites are highly successful at treating small and medium-sized cavities.
For more oral health care advice or to schedule an oral exam with Dr. Keith Dodge and our team at our dentist office in Orem, Utah, please contact Dodge Family Dental at 801-225-8060. We look forward to helping you soon with dental fillings to achieve your cavity-free smile!